The Periodic Table of Tech update is here!
Now in its third year of publication, the chart provides an overview of the key players in tech investing and M&A in the region, and has been cited as the most comprehensive investing and M&A reference available for both startups and investors alike in the sector.
Here are our key takeaways…
- According to proprietary research by BECO Capital, 150 players have been identified this year compared with last year’s 114 representing a growth of almost 32 percent of the total tech investing and M&A ecosystem in MENA, higher than 2016’s growth rate of 24 percent. This reflects what we know and have felt over the last 12-18 months in MENA, that the appetite for investing in the tech sector in our region is growing, and fast.
- The classifications with the highest growth rate are Growth/late stage (+140%), Family Offices (+66.6%), MENA VCs (+62.5%) and Incubators/Accelerators (+61.9%). These entities represent the key milestones in a technology company’s lifecycle, and it’s encouraging to see high rates of participation and investment across various maturity levels. Building a pipeline for investment and growth opportunities is essential for a sustainable and healthy ecosystem.
- This year’s edition also saw the introduction of three New players: corporate tech investors, crowdfunding platforms and developmental financial institutions (DFI).
- Corporate Tech Investors like Majid Al Futtaim, Du and Zain are playing a crucial and growing role in our ecosystem, bringing a new expertise and point of view to the mix, as well as providing a much-needed platform that encourages corporate players to buy from and engage with tech startups in the ecosystem— we predict the growth of this classification in the coming years.
- This is also the first instance of a developmental financial institution in our chart, with the IFC staking a claim on the periodic table. The IFC is a member of the World Bank Group, and is the largest global development institution focused on the private sector in emerging markets. We believe that 2018 will bring even more DFIs to the mix, and inject the kind of investment that will kick-start a new wave of growth.
View and download the full chart in PDF at the link below:
For more information or queries, please email firstname.lastname@example.org